Saturday, September 7, 2019

Moving Out, Their Version ~ Moving Out, The Fantasy Version

After my Mother died my Aunt and I, my Fathers sister, had long phone conversations about my Parents, how they were, stories were swapped and many truths uncovered, it was a revelation to us both. When we touched on my leaving home at a young age she shared this story with me.....


Their Version..

My Aunt and her Husband were quite surprised when my Parents turned up on the their doorstep unannounced as they never `just dropped by.My Father seemed a little agitated, worried and quite angry, my Mother sheepishly quiet and doing her `head down, whatever am I to do` act. 
 They say they have had a big shock. Amanda`s moved out. Aunt and Uncle express their surprise, they continue with... it was a surprise to them too, it was all out of the blue, we couldn`t believe it, explains my Father, he`s looks very concerned....He`s at a loss to know what to do, after all she`s 18 now, we can`t stop her, she`s an adult.
Ivy is beside herself, Amanda doesn`t seem to have much thought for her Mother, its upsetting her nerves, on queue my Mother, wrings her hands in despair and practically trembles with the worry of it all...."We just don`t know what we`ve done to upset her" she says.....








The Fantasy Version


On my bus ride to work I daydreamed things had played out differently...

I go into the kitchen, Father is making tea and Mother is hovering by the table.
"Dad, I know Mom says I have to move out as I `make the house unhappy` and I`ve been looking as she has reminded me to several times and I`ve been lucky enough to find a bedsit but I`m a bit scared about it all to be honest, I`ll move out if you really want me to though....do you Dad ?
 Father splutters his disbelief....."Whats all this, first I`ve heard of it, absolutely not...NO, you will not be moving out at all Amanda, you are far too young, why I`d be worried sick, this is your home for as long as you want it to be....Good Heavens I`ve never heard anything like it...
Ivy you need to apologise to Amanda, after all shes as good as gold, helps out with the jobs and turns her keep up regularly... You and I will be having `a talk` about all this later.
 Come on Amanda, we`re popping to your Nan's and we`ll get fish n chips on the way.
We leave my Mother sitting quietly at the table and I skip off to the car thinking about batter bits and Vimto.

No comments:

Post a Comment