Saturday, August 31, 2019

Music

I have always loved music. 
It lifted my mood, soothed my sadness, preserved my memories and provided a sound track to the emotional roller coaster that always seem to be my life.


I used a portable player to spin my parents old records, `An English Country Garden ` `Lets twist again` `My old man`s a Dustman`...an interesting mix !

 

I listened to the forever dipping in and out Luxembourg Radio and taped my favourites from the Top 40 on dreary Sunday afternoons. I began my collection of 45`s when I got a stereo system for Christmas and was told to keep it down and turn it up depending which way Mother`s mood swung, my Father banging on the ceiling with the mop when it was the later.


 I bought buckled cut price records in Woolworths from the reduced bin and ignored the distorted vocals here and there. Had a shocking selection of tribute bands `TOP OF THE POPS` albums complete with misogynistic pouting model on the cover and bought every album the Bay City Rollers released for which I can only apologise.


My Father introduced me to classical music, our DJ neighbour to jazz, jive and Tamala Motown which for quite a while I pronounced as Pamela Motown ! And my first love introduced to my lifelong love of Northern Soul, KTF, a later love introduced me to New Order and Echo and The Bunnymen. I loved it all, even a little punk crept in with Hersham Boys~Sham 69.


I built myself my own personalised soundtrack to my life. I had discos for one when they went to Bingo, practising my dance moves for the Discos I was just discovering, I sang along, memorised lyrics, daydreamed and drifted away to a better life or sometimes lay on the bed and let silent tears roll down my cheeks, Frankie Valley kindly muffling the occasional little sob I couldn`t quite contain.
Later when I was older I lived to dance, last off the floor I danced til I dare not slip my shoes off because I`d never get them on again. Those days are long gone now but I have a go at Pop Master on radio 2 every day and still enjoy a wide genre of music, spending far too much time on Youtube and wondering where about`s in the loft my old 45`s are.

 Tracks Of My Years


Four Seasons ~ Down The Hall

The Bangles ~ Manic Monday

Elkie Brooks ~ Don`t Cry Out Loud

The Script ~ The Man Who Can`t Be Moved

Billy Ocean ~ Red Light Spells Danger

Stevie Wonder ~ It`s You

Jocelyn Brown ~ Somebody Else`s Guy

Barbara Dickson ~ Another Suitcase In Another Hall

Swing Out Sister ~ Twilight Light World

Audrey Hepburn ~ Moon River


No comments:

Post a Comment